News flash, companies that embrace “going green” outperformed their counterparts financially. Consumers (as a whole) love corporate sustainability practices. In fact, 91% of consumers say that they expect companies to operate responsibly when it comes to the environment. This is one of the main reasons why even though many clinics associate sustainability with spending money, going green actually generates more revenue in the long run. The New Year is the perfect opportunity to make some eco-friendly changes in your physical therapy clinic and take your clinic to the next level of profitability. Here are our tips for starting 2018 off on a (green) foot.
Start going green by buying green. There are eco-friendly options for almost all office supplies:
- Opt for LED lighting over traditional light bulbs
- Use automatic dimmers and timers to reduce or turn off light based on how much natural daylight is available
- Use motion sensors to automatically turn off lights in empty rooms
Green Heating and Cooling
- Use a NEST (or another programmable thermostat) to automatically set heating and cooling temperatures
- Be sure to change your air filter on the regular
- Purchase eco-friendly HVAC systems
Green Water Use
- Install low-flow or no-flow toilets and urinals
- Use faucet aerators on all faucets
- Opt for interior plants that don’t rely on excessive watering
Green Laundry Practices
- Use environmentally friendly laundry detergents that breakdown safely
- Make sure to always run a full load
- Purchase a reusable Pillow Cover (like the EcoPro Pillow Cover) to eliminate hundreds of laundry loads every year, saving your clinic time and money
Tweak Your Font
Fonts are nothing to be trifled with. Countless hours have no doubt been spent by your leadership team debating the minute differences between Railway and Helvetica. However, if you’ve chosen a think font to represent your company, you might want to opt for a slimmer version as you go green. Slimmer fonts use less paper/ink/toner over the life of the business. At first, this may not sound like much, but when you consider how much your clinic is printing during the year, that thinner font can add up to some real impact.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
The 3 R’s can guide your business to the land of green. If you haven’t already, start a recycling program in your clinic. Ensure that there is a plethora of recycling bins throughout the offices (the easier it is to recycle; the more likely people are to use the bins). Also, as a green business, you want to look for opportunities to reuse any equipment either by donating your outdated equipment, utilizing a dealer trade-in program, or repairing vs. replacing. For more insight into how to reduce, reuse, and recycle in your clinic, check out our blog posts here and here.
Power Up With Renewable Energy
This takes a bit more effort, but the eco-friendly results are worth it. Depending on your state regulations, consider using solar or wind energy to power your clinic. Either through a self-installed solution or through opting for a green energy plan from your power supplier.
Incentivize Green Commuting
Physical therapists tend to be a health-conscious bunch! 2018 is the perfect time to capitalize on this exercise-focused mindset by implementing a green commuting policy. Encourage your employees to walk, bike, carpool, or use public transit to come to the office. Include incentives for employees that stick to this new green commute.
A new year means a new growth opportunity for your clinic to grow. Make 2018 the year your clinic “Goes Green”.