We’ve talked before about the positive impacts eco-friendly choices can have on your clinic. Namely, how making more green choices can help cut costs, increase profits, and (if your clinic has switched from cotton pillow cases to EcoPro Pillow Covers) save time. But why stop there? If you’re consciously investing in green choices for your business, it’s time to reap the full benefits of all that green work by certifying your office with third-party green business certifications.
Benefits of Green Certification
Between filling out applications, paying fees, and making green investments, becoming a certified green clinic isn’t always a convenient process. So, why do clinics go through all that trouble? Because it’s worth it!
Some of the benefits of being certified green include:
- Market Differentiation
- Expanded Marketability
- Increased Clinic Value
- Access to Free Technical Assistance
- Potential Government Tax Credits and Breaks
- Engage with Customers Who Share the Same Values
Where to Start
There are literally hundreds of possible third-party green certifications available to businesses. With so many options, it’s easy for a clinic to become overwhelmed with choices. To be successful at applying for these certifications, you need a plan.
Here’s where to start:
- Take stock of what green investments (CFL lights, low-flow aerators, etc.) your clinic has already made
- Focus your initial certification search on local city or state programs (these typically have a smaller barrier of entry and may come with immediate tax breaks)
- Select a handful of certifications to explore in detail
- Determine the gap between what each certification requires and what steps you’ve already taken
- Ensure that all certifications are legitimate (don’t waste time and money on phony certifications)
- Select a single certification to initially focus on
- Apply for that certification
- Obtain that certification and move on to your next target
If there aren’t any local or state certification programs, then apply this same methodology to applying for national certification.
Top National Certification Programs
US Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design
More commonly known as LEED, this certification is the gold star of going green. LEED uses a point-based system that awards businesses higher scores based on:
- Use of sustainable materials
- Water savings
- Air quality
- Energy efficiency
You can learn more about becoming LEED-certified here.
Energy Star Building
Yes, the same organization that grants appliances their green designation also certifies businesses and buildings. The Energy Star logo is one of the most customer recognizable programs in the market. To qualify for Energy Star designation, your clinic needs to score above 75% on the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) energy performance scale. You can learn more about earning Energy Star certification here.
Green Business Alliance
The GBA offers certification through their Greenify program. No one-size-fits-all program here, each program is individualized based on your specific clinic objective, location, and needs. Example Greenify guidelines include:
- Turning off all computers and monitors each night
- Purchase garbage cans and bags made from recycled materials
- Designate carpool parking spaces
Check out more of the Green Business Alliance Greenify certification program here.
Keep in mind that many certification requirements overlap between various green business certification programs. If you’ve made the investment to meet the requirements of one program, be sure to check the requirements for other programs to see if you meet those requirements as well.
Leave a Comment